Ticker to Goal

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Interesting article

So I got to the gym 40 minutes before my class started today so I decided to have a coffee and read the gym newspaper. I came across a very interesting article at the bottom of page 2 about BMI's and a new way of recording whether someone needs to loose weight. Here's what you do:

Forget the scales, all you need is a tape measure to get a true test of your weight.

Measuring:

1. Chest – Measure the full circumference of your upper torso passing over your nipples.

2. Waist – Measure the distance around your middle in line with your navel

3. Hips – Measure your hips – the distance around your jeans line, passing over your hip bones

Calculating:

1. Divide the waist reading by the hip reading

2. Divide the waist reading by chest reading

Scoring: 

Both numbers will fall in one of the ranges below:

Underweight – 0.8 – 0.9
Good weight – 0.9 – 1.0
Overweight 1+

I myself am underweight according to my hips and a good weight according to my chest. I may have the best part of 60 lbs to get to goal but hey ... my waist is smaller than my hips, I must be skinny!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

When I take measurements on the 20th, I'm gonna have to refer to this again... but I like basing health on something OTHER than what the scale says. :)

MandaPanda said...

BMI charts are hokum but in my opinion so are the measurement things. I think body builders may be overweight doing this math (but then again, I'm not so great at math so maybe I'm just not getting it). LOL.